Be Prepared for Winter Weather
Safety is the university’s top priority, and Facilities Operations and Development (FOD), CampusParc, Transportation and Traffic Management (TTM), and the Department of Public Safety work together to offer services during the winter months to keep you safe. As snow and ice start to collect, FOD teams are dispatched to treat campus roadways and sidewalks. They remain on campus throughout the day and night, treating and plowing as needed. CampusParc crews also will be on campus treating parking lots and garages, with garage rooftops remaining open, when possible. Learn more on the CampusParc website.
Please understand the 130 miles of campus sidewalk and 40 miles of campus roads take nearly six hours to clear one time. While customers may still see snow in the areas, our facilities crew will do its best to keep pathways clear. It is important to note that several factors can impact the time needed to treat roadways, sidewalks and parking areas. These factors include but are not limited to:
- Amount of snow accumulation
- Wind levels
- Time of day when inclement weather occurs
- Day of week (weekday vs. weekend)
- Campus events
TTM will continue to offer bus service, but you are encouraged to utilize the Ohio State app for real-time CABS tracking
to stay updated on CABS service offerings. Ohio State’s Emergency Management team will continue to monitor weather and share significant updates online and via Twitter @OSU_EMFP.
Please exercise caution during inclement weather and be prepared. When traveling plan ahead, allow extra time and dress appropriately for the weather. If you see a potentially unsafe condition because of ice or snow, do not try to rectify the situation yourself, report the situation to Service2Facilities at 614-292-4357.
Winter Travel Tips
- When traveling during inclement weather, be sure to plan ahead, allow extra time, and dress appropriately for the weather.
- Know your route and pay special attention to changing and/or declining weather conditions.
- Take it slow to avoid slipping and sliding and remain alert as you move on and around campus.
- Allow additional distance between your vehicle and the vehicle in front of you during snowy and ice conditions.
- Be sure to keep your vehicle windows, head, tail lights, and break lights clear of ice and snow.
- Prepare a winter emergency kit for your vehicle. Include a flashlight, battery-powered radio, extra batteries, blankets, hats and gloves, first aid kit, emergency flares, shovel, cell phone charger, water, and nonperishable food items.
- Wear sensible shoes and dress in layers for travel between destinations.
- Obtain real-time CABS bus arrival information via the Ohio State app to plan your route. Be sure to review break and university holiday CABS service schedules.
- Riding COTA? Visit cota.com for service info.
- If you need a place to store your bicycle during the winter months, rent a bicycle locker.
- Additional ideas.