Facilities and Operations Development utility services provides steam and condensate, heating hot water, electricity, natural gas, domestic cold and hot water, chilled water, compressed air and fire hydrants – necessary to maintain university operations.
What We Provide
- Technical support to maintain 99.9% utility service reliability.
- Utility system planning for the Infrastructure Master Plan.
- System modeling for capacity evaluation and growth studies.
- Campus distribution and energy conversion system optimization.
- Critical review of utilities aspects of new construction.
- Campus power plant and central chiller plant controls.
- Specialized technical consulting on utility system equipment, steam piping, electrical systems safety, energy conservation, process communication, and controls.
McCracken Power Plant
- Operation of 5 central plant boilers and 9 central plant chillers.
- Central steam and/or hot water to 80% of the Columbus campus. This includes most of the main campus and all of the midwest campus, including the Schottenstein Center.
- Central chilled water for air conditioning in 36 buildings in the central campus area, including RPAC and the Fisher College of Business.
- Compressed air to buildings on the main campus for laboratories and pneumatic controls.
- Significant investments in boilers and chillers (2004-2014) have improved energy efficiency, dramatically reduced smokestack emissions, and renovated the plant.
South Campus Central Chiller Plant
- Operation of 8 district plant chiller.
- Chilled water to 5 Wexner Medical Center hospital buildings.
- Chilled water to additional buildings in planning and design.
Easy Regional Chilled Water Plant
- Operation of 2 district plant chillers starting 2014.
- Expansion underway for 3 additional chillers for 2015 start-up.
- Chilled water to 15 buildings in the Academic Core North and North Residential District in planning and design.
Utilities Support Services
- Maintains an extensive system of underground utility tunnels, trench boxes, and direct buried piping.
- Operates and maintains the campus domestic water distribution system and fire hydrants.
- Operates and maintains 11 master meter gas distribution systems for campus.
- Construction and maintenance outage coordination and planning support to plant operations.
- Ohio State, West Campus, and Smith Substation operation and circuit switching.
- Electrical energy services to campus buildings.
- Electrical fault studies and system planning.
- Medium and high voltage system maintenance and repair, including building transformers.
- Utility Plant electrical system repair and maintenance.
- Provides 99.9% electrical reliability utilizing redundant circuits to most campus buildings.