Facilities Operations and Development (FOD) is responsible for cleaning and custodial services in most academic, research, and administrative buildings located on the Columbus campus. Select facilities, including those managed by the Office of Student Life and the Wexner Medical Center, are outside FOD’s scope.
FOD follows protocols based on best practices for higher education institutions. Custodial, maintenance or general service requests should be made by contacting Service2Facilities online, or by calling 614-292-HELP (4357).
For FOD-maintained buildings, custodians will clean restrooms at least once a day.
- Individual Offices - FOD will vacuum and sweep monthly. Once a year, FOD will shampoo carpets or strip and refinish floors. Individuals are responsible for cleaning and disinfecting their own workstations. For employees who occupy single offices, we ask you to please empty your own deskside trash and recycling bins into centrally located containers. This will limit foot traffic in and out of your office. See the private office vacuuming schedule.
|Strip and refinish floors|
- Research Labs – Lab benches and sinks are the responsibility of the lab employees. It is recommended that individuals clean and disinfect shared workspaces. FOD will empty trash and recycling, and sweep, dust-mop floor or vacuum daily. We will damp mop floors weekly. FOD will clean white boards and chalk boards daily and restock chalk supplies. Twice per month, FOD will dust flat surfaces and furniture. Once a year, FOD will shampoo carpets or strip and refinish floors.
|Vacuum, sweep, or dust mop||DAILY|
|Clean whiteboards or chalkboards|
|Clean / disinfect doorknobs, lever andles, push plates, etc.||WEEKLY|
|Damp mop floors|
|Dust flat surfaces||BI-MONTHLY|
|Strip and refinish floors||YEARLY|
- Kitchen and Break Areas - Building occupants utilizing break rooms or kitchens should be conscientious of others and clean up after each use.
- Conference Rooms - FOD will empty trash and recycling daily. Vacuuming, sweeping or mopping floors occurs twice, per week. Once a year, FOD will shampoo carpets or strip and refinish floors.
- Classroom – Classrooms will be cleaned and disinfected once per day. FOD will empty trash and recycling, sweep, dust, mop or vacuum floors daily. Custodians will clean white boards and chalk boards daily and restock chalk supplies. Once a year, FOD will shampoo carpets or strip and refinish floors.