Zero Waste Tailgate Lot Manager
Position Description and Responsibilities
By selecting a dedicated team of Zero Waste Tailgate Lot Mangers, the Tailgate Recycling Program will see numerous benefits and improvements in tailgate waste diversion efforts. Each manager will be assigned to a specific tailgate lot, which increases the manager’s responsibility and also consistency and rapport with repeat fans/visitors in that lot. Each manager will have the task of educating and engaging the fans on proper recycling as well as keeping their lot as clean as possible, which may include sweeping, lifting, and other forms of moving disposed materials.
Managers will be responsible for training and managing any volunteers working in their respective tailgate lots. With a leader to provide guidance, the volunteers will be even more effective.
Additional responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
- Tailgate Lot clean-up efforts (personal protection equipment will be provided)
- Distributing survey(s) to fans
- Utilize two-way radio to stay in contact with the team
- Piloting new waste diversion efforts such as organics collection
- Recording trends, fan feedback, or interesting behaviors that affect waste diversion
- Investigating innovative ways to divert waste
- Distributing and collecting vests and other university equipment given to volunteers
- Work on football Saturdays
- Ability to carry trash and recycling bins
- Ability to stand/walk for long periods of time
- Ability to effectively communicate with fans
Please note that the vast majority of work hours will be performed on Saturdays; however, there will be the occasional waste diversion related tasks that might take place on a different day of the week, including Fridays and Sundays.
Due to the nature of this work, it will be common for this position to be working during the first 1-2 quarters of each football game. In the event someone wants to attend a full game, that person must request and receive confirmation from ESS Coordinator (Mary Leciejewski) two weeks prior to the requested game.
Due to the variable start times of each game, work hours can begin as early as 8:00 a.m. and can go as late as 1:00 a.m. the next day. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if there are specific questions about the work hours.
Send a resume and cover letter expressing your interest to email@example.com with the email subject “Zero Waste Tailgate Lot Manager Internship”. Please include information on the number of hours you will be able to work during the week as well as specifically on Saturday gamedays.