The Ohio State University continues to navigate coronavirus (COVID-19) by taking steps to serve the best interests of our students, faculty, staff, patients and visitors. The university has assessed capital projects in an effort to increase financial liquidity until the full impact of COVID-19 is known.
All projects in our pipeline remain important to support our teaching, research and patient care missions. We also recognize the need to be prudent and cautious during these uncertain times. Most construction will continue as planned. However, following an evaluation, projects that can be slowed or modified have been identified.
By taking a measured approach now, the university is best positioned to both respond to the needs of our campus community and to assess an evolving construction market where supplies and labor continue to be in flux.
Projects identified to be slowed or modified include:
- Campus Partners’ 15+HIGH project, located on the east side of High Street, will continue work on Building A but delay beginning work on Building B1.
- The Arts District project will continue with completion of the School of Music, but the university will delay construction of the Department of Theatre. We remain committed to completing this project to make 15+HIGH a true epicenter for the arts.
- The Controlled Environment Food Production Research Complex will continue its design work, scheduled to complete its current phase in May 2020, before pausing while the university evaluates a future timeline and scope.
- The Instructional Science Building RDM will have its scope modified with work continuing to complete the 4th floor HVAC work at Bolz Hall, but additional steps need further evaluation.
- The Interdisciplinary Health Sciences Center, a project that broke ground in fall of 2019, will be paused. Excavation work for this facility is nearly complete, but construction will pause prior to ordering supplies to begin steel work.
- The Lacrosse Stadium will complete design before pausing to evaluate a future timeline and scope as well as fundraising.
- The Library Book Depository has not yet started and will delay.
- Work will continue on the Coffey Road Park recreation fields reconfiguration, while Lincoln Fields renovations will be paused.
- Newton Hall will be temporarily paused. The project to expand service for the College of Nursing, is currently in design.
- Taylor Tower renovations will pause while the university evaluates a future timeline and scope.
- Waterman Multi-Species Animal Learning Center has not yet started and will delay.
These projects all play an important part in our mission. We will share more information around their timelines for continuing when it is available. The university will maintain an elevated level of oversight on all projects moving forward so that we continue to be good stewards of our resources.
A selection of the projects that are continuing to move forward at this time include but are not limited to:
- 15+HIGH – Building A
- Arts District (School of Music)
- Celeste Lab
- Dodd Garage
- Energy Advancement and Innovation Center
- Inpatient Hospital and Garage
- Interdisciplinary Research Facility
- Mars G. Fontana Laboratories
- Optometry Clinic and Health Sciences Faculty Office
- OSU East Expansion/Renovation
- Postle Hall
- Ty Tucker Tennis Center
- Vet Med Spectrum of Care Clinic
- Wexner Medical Center Outpatient Care West Campus
- Wexner Medical Center Outpatient Care New Albany
- Wexner Medical Center Outpatient Care Dublin
- Wexner Medical Center Central Sterile Supply
- WOSU Facility